I make a similar lentil soup (my husband is a big fan of it!) but I always used ham hocks (or bacon) to meat & flavour — I bet this is excellent with Chorizo, it would add a ‘bit of kick’ to it all! And, the red wine would suit it too!!
- 1 3/4 cups lentils
- 1 chorizo (9 oz), sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Salt to taste
- Wash lentils.
- Place lentils, chorizo, whole garlic cloves, carrots, and potatoes in a large pot.
- Pour water atleast 3 fingers over total.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Let cook uncovered stirring occasionally.
- Fry onions in a pan with olive oil until slightly browned, then add Spanish paprika.
- Add onions to the pot of lentils.
- Salt to taste.
- Cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cloves of garlic, squeeze garlic from its skin and mash. Return to the pot.