These Mexican cuisine-inspired appetizers are all easy, rich in flavor and will please your guests and family alike. You can find any dish your heart desires or make them all for a big party. The best part is that this collection goes above and beyond ordinary chips and salsa to offer many creative ideas.
A soft, tender sweet and savory corn cake that works great as a side dish to your favorite Mexican meal or scoop some and add it to your chili. Your life will be forever changed.
prep time:15 MINUTES
cook time:1 HOUR
total time:1 HOUR 15 MINUTES
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup masa harina (corn flour)
- 1/2 cup water, plus more for water bath
- 1 cup sweet corn, roughly chopped (I get my sweet corn in the freezer section at Costco)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons whole milk (or heavy cream)
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl beat the two sticks of butter until fluffy and light in color.
- Add in the masa and the water and mix with an electric hand mixer until combined.
Next add in the chopped corn, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Pour in the whole milk and mix until combined.
Scrape the bowl to incorporate any missed dry ingredients before pouring the batter into an un-greased 8×11 glass baking dish and spreading it smooth and evenly.
Cover tightly with foil and place the dish into a 9×13 baking dish and then fill the (9×13 pan) 1/3 of the way with water.
Place the corn cake into your preheated oven to bake for 50 minutes. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes or so before serving.
Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to dish and serve.